Homes For Sale in Powder Springs GA
About Powder Springs GA Real Estate
The town of Powder Springs was incorporated as Springville in 1838 in the lands of two Cherokee Indian chiefs, Chief Nose and Chief Ana Kanasta (Sweetwater). Gold had been discovered in Georgia ten years earlier, and the first area settlers came to find gold. They found little in the mines at Lost Mountain and off Brownsville Road. It was at about this same time that the Cherokee people were forced off their land and marched to Oklahoma on the Trail of Tears.
The name Springville was changed to Powder Springs in 1859. This name was derived from the seven springs in the city limits. The water in these springs contains some 26 minerals that turn the surrounding sand black like gunpowder – hence the name Gunpowder Springs.
American Civil War history includes a skirmish at Lattermore’s Mills on June 20, 1864, that was a part of the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain and General Sherman’s Atlanta Campaign.
Powder Springs is home to the McEachern High School, a school that is located on the site of the former Seventh District Agricultural and Mechanical (A&M) School. The late Georgia Senator Richard B. Russell attended the Seventh District A&M School. The administrative building of McEachern High School is named for Senator Russell. Other schools serving Powder Springs include Hillgrove High School and Lovingood Middle School.